Background

Definition:

A group of words that has both a subject and a verb but (unlike an independent clause) cannot stand alone as a sentence. Also known as a dependent clause.
See also:

Examples and Observations:

  • "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect."
    (Mark Twain)


  • "When I'm good, I'm very, very good, but when I'm bad, I'm better."
    (Mae West, I'm No Angel)


  • "Memory is deceptive because it is colored by today's events."
    (Albert Einstein)


  • "If you can't leave in a taxi you can leave in a huff. If that's too soon, you can leave in a minute and a huff.
    (Groucho Marx, Duck Soup)


  • "If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich."
    (John F. Kennedy)


  • "Man, when you lose your laugh, you lose your footing."
    (Ken Kesey)


  • "Every book is a children's book if the kid can read."
    (Mitch Hedberg)


  • Finite clauses are introduced by a subordinator, which serves to indicate the dependent status of the clause together with its circumstantial meaning. Formally, subordinating conjunctions can be grouped as follows:

    • simple conjunctions: when, whenever, where, wherever, because, if, unless, until, while, as, although
    • conjunctive groups: as if, as though, even if, even though, even when, soon after, no sooner
    • complex conjunctions:: there are three subclasses:
      (i) derived from verbs . . .: provided (that), granted (that), considering (that), seeing (that), suppose (that), supposing (that), so (that)
      (ii) containing a noun: in case, in the event that, to the extent that, in spite of the fact that, the day, the way
      (iii) adverbial: so/as long as, as soon as, so/as far as, much as, now (that)
    (Angela Downing, English Grammar: A University Course. Routledge, 2006)


  • Subordinate Clauses in Poetry
    "When I heard the learn’d astronomer;
    When the proofs, the figures, were ranged in columns before me;
    When I was shown the charts and the diagrams, to add, divide, and measure them;
    When I, sitting, heard the astronomer, where he lectured with much applause in the lecture-room,

    How soon, unaccountable, I became tired and sick;
    Till rising and gliding out, I wander’d off by myself,
    In the mystical moist night-air, and from time to time,
    Look’d up in perfect silence at the stars
    ."
    (Walt Whitman, "When I heard the Learn’d Astronomer." Leaves of Grass)

Categories: Share

Leave a Reply